Friday, November 25, 2005

 

Salsa Lesson

Oh, I forgot to even post about the Salsa lesson I taught. What a nightmare that turned out!!

I was in work that day for a meeting (sometimes I work from home), so I knew I had to leave early as I had to do the hour drive, get some stuff ready, then the 20 minute drive to the class, and be there by 6 to start the lesson at 6:15. So, I ended up rushing out of a meeting at about 4:30 - I was leaving it fine, I knew that, but all was going to be ok. Except, my boss asked me to take him to a hire-car place in Eastleigh, not far from the University and even closer to the motorway, so it shouldn't be a problem. But as I was driving past the miles of queuing traffic I knew there was going to be a problem.

I called Daisy to get my stuff ready while I was sitting stuck in this queue. Ugh. 5 o'clock came and went, 5:20 arrived and I was nearing the motorway. It was still an hour home from here... unless I drove fast. And that's what I tried, but the traffic was heaving.

I managed to get home about 6, and I pulled apart my computer to take the speakers in so I could play music. We then hurtled off towards Poole. It was 5 minutes down the road we realised we'd forgotten something. We turned back, got the plug then headed back into Poole, although this time somewhat slower as I realised there was no point in rushing as our teacher was bound to start the next person on first.

We arrived at 6:30. As we peered into the classroom, it all seemed quiet. The other learners were there, but no-one at the front. "We waited for you" my tutor said. Turns out, someone who was also due to do their teaching practice that day hadn't turned up, so they had some time to spare.

Next problem - my tutor had lost my resources form, so the laptop wasn't ready. We rushed about setting that up, and I think I started my lesson about 6:45. Better late than never.

The actual lesson went very well, though. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and most people actually got the hang of it. Daisy told me I was a bit quiet in places, but it felt to me like I was bellowing my chest out. Oh well.

If you're interested, you can get the handouts for my lesson as a Powerpoint file: Salsa Handouts.

This week in teaching someone said to Daisy that they watched Strictly Come Dancing at the weekend (where they did a Salsa routine) and they recognised the steps, so at least I taught them something!!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?