Sunday, May 15, 2005

 

The Garden

In the evenings this week I've been busy digging over an old flower bed that had been taken back by Mrs. Nature. Before I started it looked like this:


Before any work was done - a right mess

Today I managed to get the last of the weeds and grass up, and we moved some plants that we wanted to keep that were still managing to survive the onslaught of weeds. It now looks like a big patch of dirt, much better:


Completed Vegetable Patch

Soon I'll sprinkle over the organic slug nematodes that I bought from the Green Gardener to avoid our crops getting eaten before we get a chance to. Then it'll be time to design the crop rotation system, and plant the vegetables.

In other news, my giant sunflowers have begun to grow. They're only about 12 days old now:


Sunflower Seedlings

Also, the tomato seedlings, which are few days older, are coming along really well:


Tomato Seedlings

That empty pot in the background is (hopefully) going to be a pumpkin, but none of them have done anything yet and it's way past the duration that the seed packet said they should germinate within. I hope at least one will work!

I noticed this pretty flower in the flower bed next to the vegetable patch, so I took a photo. I'm reliably informed it's an aquilegia
or 'Granny's Bonnet'.


Aquilegia

I know this blog seems very garden oriented at the moment, but I promise it won't always be like this - it's just that I'm doing alot of gardening at the moment! :o)
Comments:
For a moment I thought that plant was called Aguilera and I was thinking "So that's where she got her name from" and then I realised it wasn't in fact called that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?