Monday, May 23, 2005

 

Vegetables are Go!

Another long day at work, but when I got home I made the effort to go straight outside, as it was the right conditions to put the slug nematodes into the ground. The packet said to put them in only when it was overcast, as it was tonight.
They came as a powder, that I had to mix into 8 litres of water, and then mix that into 4 8-litre watering cans, and spread it onto the patch. It didn't take long. Then my wife and I set about planting some of the seedlings that were bursting forth in our cold-frame.

Here's the final vegetable patch, looking resplendent:


Vegetable Patch

Left to right, top to bottom, we have:

  1. Brussel Sprouts,
  2. Broccoli
  3. Lettuce (only one survived the cold-frame and the snails)
  4. Chinese Cabbage
  5. Beetroot (foreground)


My fingers will be going green soon. I then came in and, with my wife, made a Weightwatchers turkey and ham pie from the Time to Eat book, which was absolutely delicious. Most recommended.

At 9pm on Channel Five tonight there was an amazing documentary about a savant who was able to do complicated mathematical sums in his head. This in itself is not impossible to learn, but he apparantly did this without having to think; images just appeared in front of him from which he could read-off the correct answer to the sum. What also struck me was how amenable he was to the scientists prodding him and poking him. This is great as he has an amazing skill, and it always annoyed me in that film, Flight of the Navigator, that the little kid wouldn't let the scientists find out about his brain full of star charts. Perhaps its because I'm a scientist at heart.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?