Sunday, May 15, 2005

 

Chicken and Mushroom Pie

Tonight we made another of our regulars. As part of the WeightWatchers diet we're on, we have to count points that are based on the calorific and fat content of a dish. [As an aside, they have recently changed their "Points" system for another, but we have all the books for the old system, so we're sticking to that] Weightwatchers publish some good recipe books with low fat recipes in them. We often make the open crust chicken and mushroom pie, as we did this evening. We have made a few small changes to the published recipe. Perhaps you'd like to make it?

First you have to make a pastry. It's pretty easy. You need:



Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, and rub in the margarine until the usual breadcrumbs thing happens. Add some water, stirring it in, until a dough forms that's not too sticky. Stick it in a bag, and bung it in the fridge for 30 minutes.

While that's chilling, prepare the vegetables:




Perfectly cut vegetables, by The Wife.

Seal the chicken along with the onions and garlic in a large frying pan (about 5 minutes). Add the mushrooms and leek along with the following:



Cover the pan, and simmer all these ingredients for 15 minutes.

Now is a good time to put the oven on to preheat to about 200 degrees centigrade.

Now, just before the filling is ready, get the pastry from the fridge and roll it out, on a floured surface, to about a 10 inch (26cm) round. This is about the width of one of our baking sheets.


Rolled pastry, with filling simmering in background.

Grease and flour a baking sheet and transfer the pastry to it. Brush some milk over the base, and sprinkle semolina over the milk. This helps to keep the base crisper when the filling is placed on top, although it doesn't always work.

Now spoon the filling into the pastry leaving a 4cm (2inch) gap around the edges which will be folded up.


Spooning the Filling onto the Pastry

Fold up the edges of the pastry around the filling, and brush the outer edges with milk to allow it to brown off. Bung it in the oven for 30-35 minutes.

When it comes out it will look like this:


The Final Pie!

Although the Weightwatchers book says this serves 6, I think it serves 4 and the points for a quarter of this pie is 6. With a 100g portion of chips (3 points) this makes a 9 point dinner. [For comparison, my wife's daily allowance of points is 20, and mine is 28].

It really is a lovely taste, with the tomatoes and rosemary setting off the chicken wonderfully. Do let me know if you make one, and how it turns out!
Comments:
Looks tasty!!! Hmm... maybe I should switch to the weightwatcher's diet, then I could eat more than once a day.

Does your wife mind being referred to as The Wife or is that her official virtual title? hehe I find it quite amusing.
 
heh, it was her idea to be called that on one of the comments she made early on in my blog. Ever since then it's been her official virtual title, as you so eloquently put it.
 
I do weightwatchers too, and I've been a gold member for nearly a year now, although I am 5lbs above my goal weight (oops). The new diet is pants, we stick to the points one too. So much for eat until you are full, I seem to have no idea when that is, and just gained weight!
Have you tried the chicken wrapped in bacon with cheese and onion sauce. Is very nice at only 4points per portion!
 
Hi Merys.. A gold member? Wow! My wife started going to meetings so I went on the diet too to support her. It worked really well until we kinda slipped off it and put all our weight back on. That's why we've started again, although we're not going to meetings. I'm about 15lb over my goal weight, so I wouldn't worry - as long as we're all happy!

That chicken&bacon thing sounds yummy. Might have to look that one up.
 
and lets not forget healthier, less likely to develop type 2 diabetes, arterial hardening, high cholesterol etc. Problem is, I can never touch full fat coke again!
 
That's the problem with being a medical student, I suppose. You know everything that can go wrong with a person.. not sure I'd want to know. How will you ever enjoy a squidgy chocolate cake again? I only drink diet drinks now because they're 0 points, although I still drink squash at home. But even diet soft-drinks are full of aspartame which ain't so good for you either. Oh well, maybe I'll just stop eating.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?