Wednesday, July 20, 2005

 

Nikon D70 & Vivitar 283

I've been meaning to do something for a long time, that I eventually got around to today. I read, with some horror, on some forum somewhere that the Vivitar 283 flashgun can fry the latest digital cameras if it is used with it. This scared the hell outta me thinking that I might've put the flash onto my camera not knowing such knowledge. Some of the older 283s can supply over 600volts at the flash contacts which the latest, delicate digital cameras just can't cope with. I know I only bought mine about 8 years ago so wasn't sure if it was going to fry my camera or not. The only way was to check it.

Using the information here I measured the trigger voltage on my flash. Thankfully it topped at about 12 volts which is apparantly very safe for the latest cameras (which I've heard can accept about 250v). With some trepidation still, I tried it out and thankfully it works a treat. That's one less thing to worry about. I guess I just need a shoe to pc sync adapter now, so that I can avoid red-eye when using it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?