Tuesday, July 19, 2005

 

Dangerous Thoughts

Sometimes dangerous thoughts start rushing through my mind; dangerous thoughts like the one I'm having now. In fact, I've had this one a few times before and it's less the idea of it, which is a common well-trodden path, but more the anger and rebellion is begins to build within me. My simple thought is this: Why do we spend so much of our lives working? Simple, but it builds in me a rebellion that almost tips me over to the "Fuck it! So I won't" field where that grass is always greener.

Some people like working, sure, and good luck to them. But why do so many of us shaft our lives apart with hours upon hours of the dullest and most tedious things we could possibly think of doing? Of course, money plays a role in this, and where would we be without it? Probably fitter and less crowded by motor vehicles - that's where. But, let's assume money's here to stay, then why don't we all just do a job we enjoy? Is it because there would be no refuse collectors, or sewage plant managers, or cashiers at my local supermarket?

I always end up going through this brain dump only to realise people seem to have to do shitty jobs. However, I am determined that one day I will be in, at least, a less-shitty job working for myself (where I can make it as shitty as I like). Time to dig into that suitcase of courage and press on the pedals to make it to the next summit on the climb up Mount Paradise.
Comments:
Some people like shitty jobs. Some call centre team leaders, for example, are happy as pigs in... straw. So let the brainless do it. Make the break! No pockets in a shroud. I escaped from a hated career I'd been working at for ten years, became a teacher of English, and fled the country. That was eight years ago. I've had innumerable adventures and been on the breadline many's the time, but I've never regretted it once.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?