Tuesday, June 07, 2005

 

Mother-in-lawless

On Sunday my mother-in-law left us, after her week's stay here, and headed back home (with our help - she doesn't know the route to and from our place very well yet). It was a busy week, yet at the same time, somehow devoid of anything interesting to talk about. I guess it's what happens when one is entertaining a guest.

Mother-in-law is thinking of getting a place nearer where we live, so she has been looking at houses in the locality, and weighing up whether she actually likes where we live. In her (what could only be a mother-in-law's) mind, this seems to depend quite heavily on the presence of a Waitrose, which there isn't one nearby. However, she did find a house that she really likes so now it's up to her whether or not to make an offer, or to hold off.

During the week, my wife and I did very little cooking. It really was a week where the diet was thrown out the window in favour of luxury. Yesterday I celebrated my sister's birthday with a meal at a local pub. The day before, whilst helping mother-in-law back to Wales, we stopped off at a Little Chef (a Little Thief with the current prices!). The day before we ate at a pub in Poole. The evening before we had a curry from the local take-away. The night before we did cook - but sausage, egg and chips :o) The lunch before ate at another local pub, and a chinese the night before... and so it goes on...

Now with all that past us, we'll be getting back to the diet. What, perhaps, surpised me most is that I still lost a pound over that week. I suspect that was due to the worry!!

I bought off Ebay recently a device for my camera called a reversing ring. This allows lenses to be fitted on the camera back-to-front. Why would anyone want to do this? Well, it provides a means for taking macro (close-up) shots. You see, lenses are designed to take something far away and project it into a little space where the film is placed. If you reverse the lens, you project something close by onto a space far away (except the film gets in the way and captures that projection).

I can't yet show you any examples I've taken because I'm still using the slow-method, known as film, and mine haven't been developed yet. However, I've been out in the garden today and taken a film's worth of various bugs and flowers. I'll post some pictures when they come in, but for now, here's some pics of the camera set up:


Parts of the camera setup for macros

The camera with it all put together - 3 extension tubes (64mm), reversing ring, stepper ring and reversed 50mm lens.

Anyway, nothing much else to say other than "Sorry about the lack of blogging" - as usual.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?