Tuesday, June 28, 2005

 

Kingston Lacy

I know it's Tuesday, but this happened Sunday. I thought I better catch up with some posts, as I'm getting a bit behind!

If you remember, I baked an apple cake and some biscuits and we headed off with all our picnic equipment to arrive at Kingston Lacy by noon. The morning looked like it might be a cool day, but by the afternoon the sun was beating down and it was hitting 25oC again.


Kingston Lacy House

Kingston Lacy is a National Trust property that was once owned by the Bankes family whose previous home, Corfe Castle, had been ruined in a raid by the Parliamentary forces in 1646.

If you visit, you can look around the house, or just visit the gardens. I've been in the house many times and so with the consent of the friends we were meeting, it was decided we would just visit the gardens.


Awww, baby sheepy

We walked around a mile route that took us past the Japanese garden that they are introducing. Currently it is not a patch on a real japanese garden (like the ones we saw on our trip there last November), but it did look very pretty.


Was a hot day

We sat and ate our picnic (or at least, we ate some of it, as there was rather alot of it!) under the shade of a tree near the entrance to the formal gardens in which picnicing was prohibited.


Sundial in the grounds

We then took a longer walk through the woodlands to the south of the property, which was about 2 miles in length. It was a beautiful day for it, although I caught the sun on my [rather ample] forehead. My knee is almost back to normal now, although it's a little weak, so by the end my legs were aching.

It was a lovely day, though, and I can certainly recommend the gardens at Kingston Lacy for a nice wander around. They were pretty busy with people, and do cost £4 to get in (extra for the house), but they are great for photography :o)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?