Sunday, May 22, 2005

 

Relaxing Weekend

On Friday evening my wife and I went to our usual salsa class, except tonight we received our plaques and certificates saying that we were officially passed (with a highly-commended rating) our introduction salsa test. Ann and Pete presented our teachers, Linda and Barabara, with some flowers to say thanks for putting up with us.


Linda and Barbara, our salsa teachers with Pete, a fellow student

Early on Saturday morning, we went off up to Monmouth where my mother-in-law lives. I like going up to Monmouth most of the time, because it gets us away from the usual chores and lets us relax a bit.

It was mother-in-law's birthday in the week, so we were belatedly celebrating that with her with large amounts of food and even larger amounts of chocolate cake and ice-cream. My wife bought her a Viewsonic VE710 17" TFT monitor (in silver) for her computer, which was still using an old worn-out 14" CRT. TFT's are so cheap now, and I was pretty impressed with it, considering it's the very cheap end of Viewsonic's range.

We went to the Savoy Theatre in Monmouth on Saturday evening and saw the film The Interpreter. It was actually a pretty good film, although I did feel that the story played out rather too linearly; There just weren't enough twists. The theatre has supposedly been recently redone, and the seats were relatively comfortable, however, I wasn't happy with the quality of the theatre's cinema system - I've got a much better system at home. I've been to bad cinemas where the sound was tinny, or the picture small, but the Savoy's picture was small and the sound was muffled to the point of not being able to understand the speech. I certainly won't be going to a film there again.

On Sunday we got up late and lazed around. Just what a weekend should be about. We left Monmouth at just gone 7, and have arrived back home and half-past nine.


Clouds near Bath

Despite the relaxing weekend, it's great to be home again, although not so great that the weekend is at an end and work will re-commence tomorrow.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?