Thursday, May 12, 2005

 

ADSL

As part of the "customer loyalty" thing, our ADSL supplier, Pipex, are upgrading our 512kbps lines to 1Mbps for no extra cost, and today ours happened! (May have actually been yesterday as my router crashed unexpectedly yesterday). However, they seem to have accidentally upgraded us to 2Mbps. I'm not complaining of course, and I do hope you won't tell them. I did a test, and at 512Kbps the maximum download speed would be about 60K/s, so 1Mbps would be about 120K/s. As a test I downloaded the 55Mb Java SDK from java.sun.com and got a sustained rate of about 230K/s. I downloaded 55Mb in about 3 minutes. Blogger is screaming along :o) Hurray for broadband.
Comments:
A friend of mine was on 512 and then he suddenly became 2 meg and he's just gone back to normal now. Don't know what provider he has though.
 
Yes, it seems quite a few people have had this done to them. I guess the BT Engineers really aren't all on the ball. I suspect I'll be throttled back soon enough :o(
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?