Monday, April 11, 2005

 

Table Saws

I have fantasies about changing my garage into a wood-working shop. I still might do it, and at the weekend I was offered a job lot of willow wood from the remains of a tree that was chopped down near where my sister works. I'm not really setup to accept raw timber yet, but I'd love to be.

What you need to do is get the timber, cut it, then prepare and store it for a while (preferably years) to allow it to dry out, and then you can use it. However, I fall at the first fence. I don't have a means to even get the timber. My sister says they're large lumps and will require a trailer. Perhaps my Dad can help out on the trailer front. But, here comes the second fence... *thud* I have no way to cut the timber.

I just took a look around on Toolstation and they have some table saws but I'm not really sure what I was looking for. So another search and I come up with a page about table saw techniques. The author first warns you about the safety aspect of table saws. He says, "[One of the] most dangerous tools or operations in the shop is the one that you are afraid of". He then goes on to show you all the potential ways the table saw might try to remove your fingers. Inspires me with confidence to spend £100 on a saw... not.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?