Sunday, April 17, 2005

 

Gráda

Last night we went into Wimborne to see a band called Gráda organised by the Celtic Folk guys. The band consisted of a flautist (who also played the box and clearly had a really bad back), a vocalist (who also played the bodhrán), a fiddle player, all from Ireland and two New Zealanders playing bass and guitar. They played a really good selection of tunes ranging from the 'modern' irish folk stuff to some traditional aires. It was a really good night, and they're a very good band - humourous, superb musicians and more importantly they work really well together. I can certainly recommend them, and they're one of my favourite irish bands we've seen along with Brolum and Malinky, who have now unfortunately changed their line-up. The last time we went to a Celtic Folk concert, we saw Misé, but Gráda blew them away, in my opinion. They must've been good as we purchased two of their CDs.
Comments:
That sounds interesting, I might have to have a look out for that kind of thing. I've been downloading some bluegrass. For some odd reason I have a strange attraction to bluegrass. I think it's because I like banjos.
 
heh, bluegrass banjo players have hydraulic fingers, I reckon. They can finger pick at a ridiculous rate. I never got any good at my banjo, and it needs a new tuner now, because I can't tune up one of the strings :o(
 
Ah no! That's like me, I've got a problem with my mandolin, the strings keep falling off the nut part, I think it's sort of worn away. I must fix it/get it fixed somehow.
 
It depends how worn your nut is but if you need a new one, I'm planning on doing an order to David Dyke Luthier's soon to get a new saddle for my mandriola, amongst other stuff, which will be made of the same stuff. You should be able to get the old nut out with a hot pokey thing and put the new one in. Alternatively, just re-file the notches if it's not too worn.

Have you got a flatback or a neopolitan style mandolin?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?