Friday, October 21, 2005

 

Lack of Japanese

Today I had to do a software demonstration to an eminent Professor from the Tokyo Institute of Technology (TIT). I had been building up to it since I originally found out about it on Monday. I'd even searched through the old grey cells to remember my very basic Japanese - "Konichiwa", and "Arigato Gosaimasu". But of course, come the nerves of the actual demonstration, I completely forgot to say any of it. However, I did remember the Lonely Planet's guidance about how a business card in Japan is quite important. As when I visited Japan a year ago, Professor Sadaoki was very curteous, quiet and handed over his business card as though it was made of gold. I took it as though it was too, as I didn't want to offend anyone. It amused me that my supervisor jammed his in his shirt pocket.

Demo went off ok. I have apparantly got another one to do on Monday to some billionaire venture capitalist bloke. They chose me? Geez, I'm no salesman, that's for sure. Well, actually, that's probably it - they didn't choose me... I got lumbered with it because one of my bosses is on sabatical, and the other is in MIT. I think my supervisor has offered to come and help me out! He's a good bloke, is Paul.

Thanks for the comments on the last post. I guess I don't use my Doctor title very much, either. I don't really have any rules when I use it though - it depends how I'm feeling at the time - but it's not very often. However, Dr.Factor kinda makes me sound like one of the X-men, or something. "Saves the World With the Fack To Brunt Talking!"
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?