Tuesday, October 18, 2005

 

Crikey

Wow, is it the 18th October already? Just in case there is anyone who reads this thing, I think Daisy and I owe an apology for the lack of interesting updates recently. We haven't been having a baby, courting over the phone, getting new jobs, or about to move house, however, we have been busy doing a number of evening classes which take up much of the time we had left after work.

However, not all is lost, as we did get to have a nice walk at a local Dorset Wildlife Trust nature reserve at the weekend, which seemed like heaven after all the late nights.

Tonight I go to my picture framing course. I'm actually quite enjoying it, and we're already on week 3 of 6. Last week we practiced cutting mounts in mounting card, and although my first 7 were rubbish, the two I practiced today have come out ok once I grasped an idea that our teacher explained last week. My only problem now is that my ruler is WAY too short, and I can't do any mounts greater than about 20cm long!

Tomorrow evening, Daisy and I go to our teaching course. It's basically a course about how to do the paperwork associated with teaching. Paperwork is so important in adult teaching these days, simply for accountability. Last week our tutor was telling us how we must write down even small remarks that one learner might make to another if we think they may have been offended. Shortly afterwards exactly that happened, so I'm sure our tutor wrote that one down. This week we have to produce a scheme of work for a fictional course, which is basically a list of the lessons, with the resources and activities for each. We also have to produce 3 lesson plans, which, as it sounds, is a plan of a specific lesson. I spent most of Sunday afternoon on it, most of Monday evening, and I still have 2 lesson plans left to go! I won't be handing in a completed one this week. Daisy, of course, has tonight when I'm at picture framing.

We're both still going to our salsa lessons, and getting on really well. One of Daisy's friends sent an email to her yesterday suggesting we take up salsa. Uhm, we've been doing it for a year - I guess we are rather quiet people! Tsch.

Talking of which, as part of our teaching course we have to do a 30 minute teaching session to our fellow learners. As I have a PhD in computer science, have a web-design business, am setting up an internet retail business and have been working with bleeding edge of web-technologies for the past 3 years, I'm going to teach them the basics of salsa dancing!

Indeed, that idea of setting up an internet business is kind of on the back burner for the only reason that I haven't had much time to devote to it. I'm just glad my website design business hasn't taken off yet (I'm assuming it will of course!), although that all means I'm still stuck doing the same [insert expletive] job I've been for the last.. uhm.. too long.

Hmm... guess this was a bit of a rant. Sorry about that.
Comments:
Jeez, you guys sound way busier than I have been.

You have a Ph.D? I should call you Dr. Factobrunt!
 
Do you know any good remedies for... oh wait, you're not that kind of doctor. Hehe.
That does all sound very busy! I couldn't fit that much stuff in a year!

This might post twice, but I hope it doesn't...
 
With all those letters after your name, can't you go to Silicone valley or somewhere and make a big pile of cash in the sun? Or doesn't it work like that? Sorry if that's a daft question.

And I like the sound of Dr F.

A friend of mine got her PhD in some obscure branch of philosophy, but only called herself 'Dr' when she signed-on at the dole.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?