Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

Chocolate [Cakes and Trifles]

I'm having some time off this week, so yesterday I spent a little bit of time doing some baking. I love cooking and baking; I find it gets me away from the computer, anyway.

A few weeks ago Niki at Esurienties posted a great looking cupcake recipe that looked pretty easy to make, so last time I went to the super-market I made sure I got some chocolate peanut butter. Our shop didn't have the Kraft Nuts About Chocolate, so I got some Nutella and some Snickers spread, and would decide later which to use. In the end I decided to use the Snickers spread, (after tearing my finger away from the jar!).

I think these cup cakes are big enough to be called muffins, over here, and they taste damn good too, although my swirly technique needs alot of practice!




When the muffins were in the oven, I decided to make some individual chocolate trifes - something I've been meaning to try for a while. I had an idea that I could replace the custard part of the trifle with chocolate angel delight and the fruit with something like Nutella.

So, that's what I did.




  1. Chop 50g of plain or dark chocolate into very small pieces (I use the chopper tool on our hand blender)
  2. Place one tablespoon of Nutella (or similar) into the bottom of each of two glasses (preferably desert glasses, but we didn't have any). I warmed the spread in the microwave for 10 seconds to make it settle better into the bottom of the glass.
  3. Mix up 2 portions of chocolate Angel Delight (or similar - we used McDougalls), and as it begins to stiffen add in the chocolate bits.
  4. Split the delight into the two glasses
  5. Whisk up about 100ml of double cream until stiff
  6. Split the cream into the two glasses and flatten.
  7. Curl some chocolate onto the top


It's really easy to make, and exceedingly rich. Certainly not something to eat if you're on a diet, obviously. In fact, 2 portions of angel delight might be a little too much, and you might want to only do 1, and maybe a little less creme, but that above is what I did, and Daisy and myself enjoyed them very much! We're now a few kilos heavier though.
Comments:
Oh God...

Why must you torture me with these beautiful photos of food?!

Ohhh...
 
Oh! You should drop a comment in at The Occasional Epicure's site; she's making a list of how the recipe has flown around the world and how many people have made it!
http://occasionalepicure.blogspot.com/2005/09/self-frosting-cupcakes.html

Incidentally, I thought of you when I posted the macadamia, coconut and lime cake, as it is virtually wheat/gluten free, and I know you've been making flourless cakes for your dad. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?